What Is Neuropathy? What Causes Neuropathy? | Arthritis Information
Neuropathy is a collection of disorders that occurs when nerves of the peripheral nervous system (the part of the nervous system outside of the brain and spinal cord) are damaged. The condition is generally referred to as peripheral neuropathy, and it is most commonly due to damage to nerve axons. Neuropathy usually causes pain and numbness in the hands and feet. It can result from traumatic injuries, infections, metabolic disorders, and exposure to toxins.
I have this and take Lyrica for it and it makes an amazing difference. It can be extrememly painful without the medication. my RD said that my PN was caused by the nerves being pinched, stretched or damaged by inflammation.
What causes a peripheral neuropathy?
There are many possible causes of peripheral neuropathy, including:
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Shingles (post herpetic neuralgia)
Vitamin deficiency, particularly B12 and folate
- Autoimmune diseases, including lupus, rheumatoid arthritis or Guillain-Barre syndrome
- AIDS, whether from the disease or its treatment, syphilis, and kidney failure
- Inherited disorders, such as amyloid polyneuropathy or Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease
- Exposure to toxins, such as heavy metals, gold compounds, lead, arsenic, mercury, and organophosphate pesticides
- Cancer therapy drugs such as vincristine (Oncovin, Vincasar), and other medications [for example antibiotics such as metronidazole (Flagyl), and isoniazid (Nydrazid, Laniazid)]
Yes, the neurologist I saw a few times said long time RA was the cause of mine as well. Lovie..
does Lyrica help you sleep??
What about Enbrel causing this ??YES! It sure does help me sleep. I take all 150mg at night verses spliting the dose up twice a day because I don't want to take it during the day.[QUOTE=6t5frlane]What about Enbrel causing this ??[/QUOTE]
It was one of my earliest presentations, 6t5...... years before enbrel.
they originally thought I had MS
I would love to try the lyrica...... but my neuro won't hear of it... insists that my RLS med, REquip is perfect for both....... I use that only at night too.babs102009-04-29 11:16:47